From 3rd to 5th of December, 2018, The Department of Global Health Policy (GHP) within the University of Tokyo, and the Human Resources Strategy Center for Global Health (HRC-GH) and the Institute of Global Health Policy Research (iGHP) at National Center for Global Health and Medicine (NCGM), co-organized the 2018 Global Health Diplomacy Workshop.
Over the 2.5 days, 35 participants from a diverse set of background took part in this hands-on workshop to develop their understanding on the changing landscape of global health as well as how World Health Assembly (WHA) is used as a platform to advance global health agendas.
Resource persons from three countries of China, Thailand and Japan provided the participants with constructive feedback on how to effectively prepare for World Health Assembly (WHA) and board meetings of international organizations. Participants were given chances to conduct mock-WHA interventions and negotiations to get a taste for the decision-making process at WHO. Through this workshop, the participants learned not only skills and knowledge necessary for effective global health diplomacy, but also valuable skills that can be utilized in policy and elsewhere.
- Prof. Kenji Shibuya, Professor and Chair, Department of Global Health Policy (GHP), Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo; Director, Institute for Global Health and Policy Research (iGHP), National Center for Global Health and Medicine (NCGM)
- Prof. Hiroki Nakatani, Professor to Global Initiatives, Keio University, Japan; Director, Human Resource Strategy Center for Global Health, National Center for Global Health and Medicine (NCGM); Board Chair, Global Health Innovation Technology Fund (GHIT)
- Dr. Suwit Wibulpolprasert, Vice Chair, International Health Policy Program Foundation; Vice Chair, Health Intervention and Technology Assessment Foundation, Thailand
- Prof. Churnrurtai Kanchanachitra, Professor, Institute for Population and Social Research, Mahidol University, Thailand
- Dr. Warisa Panichkriangkrai, International Health Policy Program, Ministry of Public Health, Thailand
- Mr. Charlie Garnjana-Goonchorn, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Thailand
- Dr. Kun Tang, Department of Global Health, Peking University School of Public Health, China
- Dr. Hiroyuki Hori, Ministry of Health, Larbour and Welfare (MHLW), Japan
- Mr. Hideaki Nishizawa, Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW), Japan
- Ms. Emiko Nishimura, Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), Japan